September is supposed to be wet season for Phuket. Thus, I chose #WetPhuket as the hashtag for this trip. Airport taxi driver said that I was lucky that the night I arrived wasn't raining. There was a downpour only the previous night.
It was raining on the evening of my second day and once at night (forgot which). Woke up to see the chairs at balcony and by the swimming pool all wet. Other than that, it was sunny. I got sunburnt while riding around Phuket on motorcycle.
Now, let's start with planned itinerary. Of course, things did not go exactly as planned due to weather condition, my laziness, etc. Bear in mind that Phuket is 1-hour later than Malaysia. The itinerary is based on Phuket time except for flight time from/arrival in KL.
28 August - 1 September 2015 (5 days 4 nights)
28 Aug (Friday)
2040 - 2205 : Flight to Phuket (KUL - HKT). Get Thai SIM card. Local time 2105 on arrival.
2305 - 2310 : ETA Jiraporn Hill Resort
29 Aug (Saturday)
Free morning. Facetime for my friend's wedding until noon.
1200 - 1300 : Lunch at Saveena Halal Food (near Masjid Nurul Iman) & tarpao dinner
1730 - 2150 : Siam Niramit
30 Aug (Sunday)
0830 - 0900 : Breakfast at Abdul's Roti Shop
0900 - 1100 : Walk around Soi Romanee & Thalang Road, Phuket Trickeye Museum
1200 - 1300 : Lunch at Marina Kitchen
1300 - 1400 : Thalang Museum
1430 - 1530 : Phuket Mining Museum
1600 - 1900 : Free & easy at hotel
1930 - 2200 : Explore Bangla Road
31 Aug (Monday)
0830 - 1300 : James Bond Island Tour OR Phuket Aquarium
1300 - 1430 : Lunch at Islander Steak N Thai Food
1430 - 1530 : Phuket Trickeye Museum*
1600 - 2200 : Jungceylon last minute shopping & dinner at Islamtai Bangja
1 Sept (Tuesday)
0600 - 0615 : Check-out, head to airport
0815 - 1035 : Flight to KUL (local times)
What I didn't do?
- Breakfast at Abdul's Roti Shop. Woke up late, shop was closed.
- Sunday lunch at Marina Kitchen. Lunch was at Cafe 55 next to Masjid Nurul Iman a.k.a Masjid Patong
- Thalang Museum & Phuket Mining Museum
- James Bond Island Tour
- Phuket Aquarium
- Monday dinner at Islamtai Bangja. Couldn't find the place.
- ride to Karon Beach
- daily massages
- pedicure at massage parlour, then a proper pedicure at Valentine nail & spa
RM 2811 for 2 pax (including flight, accommodation, dining & attractions)
Cash brought to Phuket 13000 THB (flight & accommodation paid)
Transport - 2215 THB
Dining - 1600 THB
Spa & Shopping - 4700 THB
Attractions - 3700 THB
SIM card - 495 THB
Cash balance 290 THB
1) Happy Tourist SIM by dtac is 299 THB excluding tax (FREE 7-day internet) but the shop at Phuket airport sold it at 495 THB.
2) Keep details of your hotel including address (preferably in Thai) and phone number. My taxi driver demanded (yes, demanded) the phone number so he could phone the hotel and harass the poor staff just so he can confirm which hotel. Quite an interesting character.
3) Book your tour in advance. At least one day for the island tours and before noon for the night shows. Do your homework and negotiate price wisely. Return transfer should be included.
4) Tuk-tuk ride around Patong is flat-rate 200 THB one-way. Motorcycle rent including safety helmets is 200 THB per day.
5) Booking/getting metered taxi in Phuket is mah fan but possible using MyTaxi app and SO WORTH it; a 2.3 km ride from Masjid Patong to Jungceylon costed me only 95 THB including booking fee. However, I had to try more than 5 times and cancelled booking once because the taxi which won the bid was 48 km away before I got a ride.